Air date: September 27, 2003
Scott Menville - Robin
Tara Strong - Raven
Greg Cipes - Beast Boy
Khary Payton - Cyborg
Hynden Walch - Starfire
Malcolm McDowell - Mad Mod
Director(s) - Ciro Nieli
Storyboarder(s) - Ben Jones, Kalvin Lee, Alan Wan, Matt Youngberg
Writer(s) - Adam Beechen
Summary: The Titans wake up in a psychedelic prison where anything goes. The villain is Mad Mod, who captured the Titans with the intention of putting them in "detention" to make them respect their elders. The Titans have to figure out what's real and what isn't in order to find the exit and take down their new teacher.
- First appearance of Mad Mod.
- The episode was original titled "Detention".
- The opening is in Japanese.
- Starfire's joke ("How many Okaarans does it take to hoegee a marfilk? Finbar!" contains references to writer Rob Hoegee and assistant production manager Finbarr O'Riordan.
- The Japanese song that played during the chase scene was K2G (Kimi Ni Go!), performed by Puffy AmiYumi. They wrote the song. They are known in the U.S. for singing the Teen Titans theme. They used to have their own show on Cartoon Network, from 2004 to 2007, titled Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi.
- The song during the chase scene was originally going to be a song titled Mad Mod World, sung by Hynden Walch (Starfire). For some reason, the song was scrapped. It later appeared as an Easter Egg on one of the DVDs.
- Producer and story editor David Slack on 'Mad Mod': "In 'Sum of His Parts', we put the ‘wacky’ and the ‘serious’ in one episode. After that, we realized we could just change it up week to week. That’s something we’re actually very conscious of when we plan the episode order for the season. We had this really dark scary 'Masks' episode, then we did 'Mad Mod' and 'Car Trouble' before we got into the dark again with 'Apprentice'. So 'Mad Mod' was definitely an attempt to lighten it up a little bit."